Pictured first row from R to L: Garry Allen, Contracted Training Manager, Cenit College, Kildare; John Costelloe, Area Training Manager, Longford and Westmeath ETB; Lindsay Murray, Programme Manager, Cenit College Kildare; Paul Heaney, CPA Ireland, Director of Education and Training; Vaeni MacDonnell Managing Director, Cenit College Kildare; Paul McNeice, Business Development Director, CPA Ireland; Jean Ryan, Business Development Manager, CPA Ireland and Hugh Connor, Assistant Manager, Athlone Training Centre with all of the students who graduated
27th January 2017: Students from across the midlands were celebrating in Athlone today as they became the first graduating class of an innovative new traineeship. The 2015/ 2016 CPA Accounts Executive Traineeship graduation ceremony took place in Athlone Springs Hotel, this week to recognise the achievements of 18 students who successfully completed the programme.
The CPA Accounts Executive Traineeship is designed for ambitious school leavers and mature students wishing to pursue a career as a professional accountant. The traineeship comprises a one year full time academic course followed by a three month work placement. It is fully funded, meaning no cost to the student, and can also be accessed without any prior background in accounting.
The course was the first of its kind and has, since its launch in October 2016, been rolled out to 4 locations nationwide. The programme is a partnership between The Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland (CPA Ireland), Longford and Westmeath Education and Training Board (LWETB) and Cenit College.
Many of the student’s from this year’s class have secured employment in the industry, while others have continued their in accountancy to stage of professional qualification. Reaction to the opportunities presented by this course was extremely positive:
- Dafe Oyiki from Athlone said “It was a brilliant course and a nice change after coming from a sports background. I found it interesting and engaging, it was a very flexible course and bought out my love of numbers”
- Chathurika Jayalath from Athlone added “It was a very helpful course, I had professional experience in the accountancy area but no prior qualifications, I found Cenit College and the tutors very supportive and helpful. My work placement was very good and I learned a lot. Thanks to this course, I gained a sound knowledge of the theory and logic of accounting”.
Speaking at the ceremony was:
- Eamonn Siggins, Chief Executive of CPA Ireland “Historically training in accountancy was conducted through a combination of study and work placement, and through this and similar programmes we are moving back towards that model. We would like to congratulate the 2016 graduates on their successes and we look forward to assisting them to progress on their journey to become fully qualified.”
- Mr. John Costelloe, Area Training Manager, Longford and Westmeath Education and Training Board , “This is not just another bookkeeping or business course, but a programme which provides suitable candidates with the first step towards becoming a fully qualified professional accountant, with an internationally renowned CPA accounting qualification. Many students are now acutely aware of the financial burden which attending a college course can place on both themselves and their families. We are seeking to address that need by providing committed and ambitious students with an opportunity to embark on a path to becoming a fully qualified professional accountant through a one year programme. I would like to congratulate these students on their achievements this year as the first class to complete this programme and wish them all the best”.
- Ms. Vaeni MacDonnell, Managing Director of Cenit College, which delivers the programme explains, “As one of the largest training providers nationwide to various ETBs we consider that the CPA offering is a compelling qualification with strong career prospects both nationally and internationally. We are delighted with the achievements of these students and to be involved in enabling them to commence on the pathway towards professional accountancy careers.”
Following the success of its inaugural year there CPA Executive Traineeship will continue in 2017, people interested in enrolling should contact Jean Ryan for further information email@example.com / 01 4251056