To set performance objectives for trainee’s :
- The mentor and the trainee must agree upon performance objectives to achieve and improve performance. The mentor must ensure that the trainee is obtaining the relevant training and competencies required to become a Certified Public Accountant.
- In order to manage and measure performance, the performance objectives should be clear, specific and communicated in advance.
- The objectives should be set around the trainee’s role and also the vision, goals and strategy of the organisation.
- It is key for both the mentor and the trainee to know what is expected from each other to achieve the agreed objectives.
Performance objectives should include the following:
- Job description and requirements.
- Relevant training and competencies required to become a Certified Public Accountant.
- Trainee’s current knowledge, skills and capabilities.
- Key Performance Indicators.
- Resource and supervisory plan for the trainee to undertake new and different activities .
- Corporate vision and goals.
- Time frame for objectives to be achieved.
Benefits of Setting Performance Objectives
- Clear definition of performance expectations and measurement.
- Creation of an understanding between the mentor and trainee of what is required to improve performance and how it can be achieved.
- Identification of Learning and Development needs of the trainee.
- Increased communications, motivation and commitment.
- Identification of the potential ability of the trainee.