We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our site. By continuing to use the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more.


FAQs About the PIP qualification

How do I become a Personal Insolvency Practitioner?
To become a Personal Insolvency Practitioner (PIP) you must be authorised and registered with the Insolvency Service of Ireland (ISI). Before authorisation you must first complete a course of study and complete an exam that meets the knowledge criterion as stipulated by the ISI.

What courses have CPA, ACCA and CIMA run that members can complete as part of becoming a PIP?
CPA Ireland delivered a comprehensive 2 day course in both Cork & Dublin, in partnership with ACCA and CIMA, which provided delegates with the required knowledge and information to apply to the ISI to become a PIP. “In the opinion of the Insolvency Service an individual who completes this course of study and passes the exam will have met relevant knowledge criterion for submitting an application for authorisation as a personal insolvency practitioner”.

I am a CPA member. Do I need a Practising Certificate to become a PIP?
To become a PIP a member must complete a recognised course of study and pass the associated examination. They must then apply to the ISI for a license. Members do not need to have a practising certificate to apply for a license to become a PIP. However members will need to have a practising certificate before they commence practising as a Personal Insolvency Practitioner. For information on how to obtain a practising certificate please click here .

How do I obtain a practising certificate?
If you are a CPA member, details of how to obtain a practising certificate are published on the CPA Ireland website. You can find out all the details you need to know about applying for a practising certificate with CPA Ireland by clicking here. If you are a member of another body you will need to contact your Institute directly.

I am a retired member or a member on career break with CPA Ireland, can I act as a PIP?
No. If you wish to act as a PIP you would need to return to full membership with CPA Ireland and apply for a practising certficiate.

Who will regulate PIPs?
The new Insolvency Service of Ireland will regulate PIPs.

What award will I receive on successful completion of the course and exam?
You will receive a Certificate in Personal Insolvency from CPA Ireland. Please note that this is not authorisation to act as a PIP. You must apply to the ISI for authorisation to act as a PIP.

My colleagues are not qualified accountants but wish to partake in the course?
This course is designed for qualified accountants, and only qualified accountants who successfully complete the course and exam may apply to ISI. Others may apply to enrol on this course, for learning purposes only.